10 Ways To Live A More Sustainable Life in LA/UCLA
As UCLA students with hectic schedules, we’ve learned that time isn’t always our friend and sometimes trying to keep the environment constantly in mind can be a challenge. With convenience at every angle, it’s very easy to fall into the buy and throw culture but it doesn’t always have to be this way. Here are 10 tips to live a more sustainable life in LA.
1. Give up single use straws completely! I started doing so last year, and I haven’t felt better! It puts less plastic into the ocean, and more savings into your bank!
2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator! Great workout, and if you have groceries to carry just think of them as free weights!
3. The average American uses 167 plastic water bottles each year. Switching to a durable reusable bottle is a great way to have an impact and live sustainably!
4. You could save at least 6 gallons per day by turning off the tap while you’re scrubbing your hands with soap!
5. This sounds obvious, but please don’t litter. Put it in the trash and recycle bins.
6. Buy a sustainable water bottle (e.g. stainless steel casing), and fill it up via the water stations on campus. You can also use it to store soup in when you go camping.
7. If possible, walk/bike/skate/scooter/jog to class instead of using Lyft or Uber.
8. Eat only what your tummy can handle; save leftovers.
9. Did you know you’re supposed to change out your toothbrush every 3 months? So next time, instead of getting a plastic toothbrush, opt for a bamboo one! Bamboo toothbrushes are lightweight, retro looking, and biodegradable. You can look good all while being eco-friendly.
10. We all love coffee. Even better? We all love cheap coffee. Even better better? We all love cheap, fair trade, coffee! Bring your own mug into Seas Cafe (Boelter Hall, South Campus) for that perfect cup o’ joe - what’s better than caffeine AND saving money AND being ethical AND being eco friendly? Nothing, really.
By incorporating some of these tips into your life, not only will the environment thank you, but so will your wallet!